Today is finally draft day. I love draft season, but I’ll be the first to admit that I haven’t paid as much attention to it this year, mostly because I didn’t pay as much attention to the college football landscape like in past years.
But, that said, it is draft season, and I also love mock drafts. I know it’s a total crapshoot, especially when you’re basing your mock off a myriad of big boards and mocks from across the internet, but hey, it’s a fun and adds a little bit more intrigue to my draft watching experience.
Now finally, here’s my mock draft, where anything is possible.
1. Arizona Cardinals: Kyler Murray – QB – Oklahoma
This pick looks to be locked up by Kyler Murray, that is unless EVERYONE around the NFL is falling for the smokescreen. Personally I’d keep Rosen and draft Bosa, but if new coach Kliff Kingsbury has really been chasing Murray for the last six years, he’s not going to miss out on him this time around.
2. San Francisco 49ers: Nick Bosa – DE – Ohio State
Lucky for SF, they already have their franchise quarterback. I imagine they’ll hand in the draft card pretty fast, and go with the best pass rusher in the draft.
3. Washington Redskins (via NYJ): Dwayne Haskins – QB – Ohio State
I guess I’ll take this bait. Reports have come out that Skins owner Daniel Snyder is desperate to trade into the top five and take a QB, and when the owner has that loud of a voice, he gets what he wants. Redskins trade a kings ransom of picks to get who many say is the real #1 QB in this draft.
4. Oakland Raiders: Quinnen Williams – DT – Alabama
I think if you asked Gruden today, he’d tell you he’d be shocked if Williams got to him at #4. With the top two QBs off the board, and Williams there, it’s another card that gets handed in very quickly.
5. Tampa Bay Buccaneers: Devin White – LB – LSU
The Bucs lost starting LB Kwon Alexander in free agency, so there’s a big hole in the middle of that defense. White is a stud athlete that can do it all on defense, he’d be a great fit for Todd Bowles and that defense.
6. New York Giants: Josh Allen – DE – Kentucky
I think the Giants would take a QB or OT in this spot, but with the Redskins trading up to grab a quarterback, that allows the second best pass rusher in Josh Allen to fall in their laps. They’ll have a backup plan to get their quarterback.
7. Jacksonville Jaguars: Jawaan Taylor – OT – Florida
The Jags should be heading into this draft with two things on their checklist: Finding some weapons for new QB Nick Foles, and find top offensive line talent to keep him upright. #7 is too high for a receiver, so it’ll be between Taylor and Iowa TE TJ Hockenson. The drop off in OL is way bigger than TEs, so they wait until the second round to take some weapons.
8. New York Giants (via DET): Daniel Jones – QB – Duke
Gettleman is reportedly a big fan of Jones, so he uses the #17 pick he got from the Browns to trade back into the top ten to get their quarterback of the future.
9. Buffalo Bills: Ed Oliver – DT – Houston
The top lineman is off the board, it’s too high for a receiver, so they get a guy that’s been rumored to jump into the top five in Ed Oliver.
10. Denver Broncos: TJ Hockenson – TE – Iowa
I think the Broncos probably should take a QB, but I also think that Elway feels a bit snake-bitten with his quarterback history. He just traded a 4th round pick for Joe Flacco, and also absurdly thought out loud that Joe Flacco is, “just entering his prime”, so I think he gets the offense a weapon with Hockenson.
11. Cincinnati Bengals: Drew Lock – QB – Missouri
The Bengals go into their first season in a long time with a new head coach after hiring Zac Taylor from the Rams. Andy Dalton has really underwhelmed during his time in Cincy, so I think Taylor will want to get his own guy. That guy is Drew Lock.
12. Green Bay Packers: Montez Sweat – EDGE – Mississippi State
Sure, the Packers signed two pass rushers and still employ breakout star Kyler Fackrell, but Mike Pettine knows that you can never have enough. He has a heart issue that teams are monitoring, but if the Packers clear him, they’re getting an absolute freak athlete that would be a steal at 12 overall.
13. Miami Dolphins: Andre Dillard – OT – Washington State
The Dolphins might have the 13th pick right now, but they’ll likely be going into September with the worst roster in the NFL. I believe the reports that they’re willing to “Tank for Tua”, so they take an offensive lineman that can eventually protect him.
14. Atlanta Falcons: Christian Wilkins – DT – Clemson
15. New York Jets (via WAS): Rashan Gary – DE – Michigan
16. Carolina Panthers: Jonah Williams – OT – Oklahoma
17. Detroit Lions (via NYG): Noah Fant – TE – Iowa
18. Minnesota Vikings: Garrett Bradbury – OG/C – NC State
19. Tennessee Titans: Brian Burns – EDGE – Florida State
20. Pittsburgh Steelers: Devin Bush – LB – Michigan
21. Seattle Seahawks: Byron Murphy – CB – Washington
22. Baltimore Ravens: Marquise Brown – WR – Oklahoma
23. Houston Texans: Cody Ford – OT – Oklahoma
24. Oakland Raiders (via CHI): Josh Jacobs – RB – Alabama
25. Philadelphia Eagles: DK Metcalf – WR – Ole Miss
26. Indianapolis Colts: Jeffery Simmons – DT – Mississippi State
27. Oakland Raiders (via DAL): Clelin Ferrell – EDGE – Clemson
28. Los Angeles Chargers: Dalton Risner – OT – Kansas State
29. Seattle Seahawks (via KC): Darnell Savage – S – Maryland
30. Green Bay Packers: Jerry Tillery – DT – Notre Dame
31. Los Angeles Rams: Greedy Williams – CB – LSU
32. Arizona Cardinals: Greg Little – OT – Ole Miss
The final shocker of the first round comes from the Patriots. Where they trade the #32 pick to the Arizona Cardinals for their new QB of the future Josh Rosen. Cardinals use the pick to shore up their offensive line for #1 overall pick Kyler Murray.